[sdiy] CV from soundcard

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Fri May 8 19:02:43 CEST 2009

On 8 May 2009, at 16:05, Antti Huovilainen wrote:

> On Fri, 8 May 2009, Paul Schreiber wrote:
>
>> If I've said it once, I've said it 10 times.....resolution does
>> NOT EQUAL accuracy.
>>
>> Google 'INL'.
>
> Also 'gain error', 'offset', 'temperature coefficient'.

Well, quite. I do understand that resolution isn't accuracy, and that
there's other stuff going on.

The point of my calculations was simply that a 12-bit system is good
enough, and a 16-bit system is clearly good enough. If your "16-bit"
DAC is actually only accurate to 10 bits then obviously you're not
going to manage to get a good result out of it. For your 16-bit MIDI-
CV convertor to be a genuine 16-bit MIDI-CV convertor, you have to
find a chip that actually gives you 16 accurate bits. I take that as
a given.

T.