[sdiy] CV from soundcard

Richard Wentk richard at skydancer.com
Fri May 8 00:51:37 CEST 2009

On 7 May 2009, at 20:32, Derek Holzer wrote:

> I got a bit interested by the (so far vapor-ware) MOTU Volta, and
> its promise of synth CV control from a DC coupled soundcard. I've
> got a Hammerfall DSP Multiface with DC-coupled inputs/oututs
> myself, and figure it couldn't be too difficult to whip up a Pure
> Data patch to interface with my Dopefer + homebrew modules. Is it
> done via PWM? Has anyone successfully gotten this to work? What
> about recording CV?

If a soundcard is DC coupled you don't need any encoding or decoding
- you can dump/read values to it directly at the usual sample rate.

Modulation sources are easy. Accurate pitch CV may need some scaling
from whatever nominal pitch units your software is using to a precise
1V/oct output.

Most soundcards have *much* better converters than a typical MIDI/CV
box, so aside from that minor scaling tweak you should get better CV
performance overall.

Richard