[sdiy] PAIA Vocoder owners?

David Anderson andersdl at buffalo.edu
Fri May 8 00:00:18 CEST 2009

I had one in the 90s. I wasn't fond of it. Just about any vocoder made in the
past 20 years is an improvement.

I've built a few Paia things over the years: guitar pedals (not bad), Fatman
(ditto), 9700 (decent). My impression is that their stuff is like a VW Bug. It'll
get you where your going but it's no Lotus, MG, or Rolls Royce. Like the VW,
there are kits to make your Bug look "like" a Lotus, MG, or Rolls, no matter what
you do to it, it's still going to be ersatz. Especially if you go the route of
souping up the engine or dropping in a larger engine. By the time you get there,
it's still ersatz and you've spent a lot of money trying to make it something
it's not.

There's a reason the 70s era Paia synths are V/hz instead of V/oct: corner
cutting. That aesthetic continued through all products Jon Simonton designed.
It's not necessarily a bad thing but it is something to keep in mind.

David