[sdiy] modern AD/DA chips?

Scott Gravenhorst music.maker at gte.net
Wed May 6 03:06:19 CEST 2009

xyzzy at sysabend.org wrote:
>On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 05:06:59PM -0700, Scott Gravenhorst wrote:
>> >I dont see any combo ADC/DAC parts from them, although I've only spent about
>> >10 minutes so maybe I've missed them.  They have some good industrial grade
>> >ADCs but no Industrial DACs and the error on the audio stuff is as expected,
>> >fairly poor.  Find for audio, but not for precision CV stuff.
>>
>> Well, I'm not sure how much the error numbers really mean for audio.  I've got pretty
>> good ears and the unit I've used (CS4344) doesn't do nasty things.
>> What are you expecting and looking for?
>> How does "fairly poor" translate to what you can actually hear?
>
>Its incredably noticable when its a CV, which is what I'm saying.  a crappy
>DAC can *sound* fine ( where crappy==errorprone ).  Perfectly fine for your
>CD player, not so good for generating precise predictable CVs.

Sounds like you need a device for precision science then, so yeah, expect to pay substantially more
for that.

This is why I now do things in the digital domain (I know, I know - I'm not suggesting you do
that), the "CVs" I use are all internal and remain digital where they are accurate, stable,
inexpensive and unaffected by temperature.

Heh, "If only"...

-- ScottG
-- Scott Gravenhorst
-- FPGA MIDI Synthesizer Information: home1.gte.net/res0658s/FPGA_synth/
-- FatMan: home1.gte.net/res0658s/fatman/
-- NonFatMan: home1.gte.net/res0658s/electronics/