[sdiy] midi to arpeggio clock

Neil Johnson neil.johnson97 at ntlworld.com
Sun May 3 15:48:49 CEST 2009

Hi,

>> Assuming that the stream doesn't contain wretched sysex data, you can
>> just watch for those and ignore all else (I think.)
>
> according to the spec, as was quoth on a recent AH thread, system
> realtime messages can occur anywhere -- even within a sysex stream.
> i was surprised.

Why were you surprised?  The MIDI spec clearly states this behaviour,
and it is obvious why this behaviour is needed.   Think of the SysRT
messages as a kind of side-channel.

> and sysex payload must have the high bit clear, so it really is
> just a case of checking for those values. if you're only doing
> clock, the task is easy.

More generally, data bytes are defined as having bit 7 = 0, and
status bytes with bit 7 = 1.

Cheers,
Neil
(currently reading the MIDI spec)