[sdiy] midi to arpeggio clock

Colin f colin at colinfraser.com
Sat May 2 11:39:19 CEST 2009

> Quoth Jason Proctor at 2009-05-02 10:08...
> > MIDI comes down the pipe as relatively easily digestible byte-sized
> > chunks. you just check for the start, stop, continue, and clock
> > bytes, and do the appropriate thing.
>
> Specifically:
>
> Start 0xFA
> Continue 0xFB
> Stop 0xFC
> Clock 0xF8
>
> Assuming that the stream doesn't contain wretched sysex data, you can
> just watch for those and ignore all else (I think.)

Well, life's never quite that simple...
There are a number of MIDI apps that use a combination of Song Position
Pointer and Continue messages in place of Start.
i.e. even though a track is started from the very beginning, instead of just
sending Start, you get SPP to the first beat, then a Continue.
If you aren't going to support Continue, the best practice is to treat
Continue as Start.

Cheers,
Colin f