[sdiy] MIDI to Arpeggio clock

David Brown davebr at earthlink.net
Sat May 2 05:31:58 CEST 2009

I've written a lot of MIDI code for AVR processors and the AtomPro
Basic stamp from Basicmicro.com.  Various code is on my site.  While
the AtomPro is expensive, you can program it directly from a RS-232
port on a PC.  It make quick modifications quite easy.  For a clock
output you would only need a handful of parts.

This is a midi-powered processor using an AVR.
http://modularsynthesis.com/processor/processor.htm
If you look at the posted source, you can see separate routines for
all the MIDI commands.  Find the routines you want and add the
relevant code to toggle the bits.

This is the CVS using the AtomPro28
http://modularsynthesis.com/cvs/cvs.htm

Look at this source
http://modularsynthesis.com/programs/midi%20parser%20(alpha+).djb.bas
It's basically the same program.  Find the routine and toggle any of
the various outputs.  For the AtomPro processor you would need an
opto-coupler, 2 resistors, 1 diode,  DB-9 connector, and a +5 volts
supply or higher.  Use an AtomPro24 to save some cost.

I am constantly modifying MIDI code to suit whatever I'm trying to do
at the moment.  MIDI to CV, MIDI clock, holding notes, transposing
notes, reversing a keyboard, scaling, etc.

Dave