[sdiy] Polyphonic keyboard scanner

Jerry Gray-Eskue jerryge at cableone.net
Fri Jul 31 19:24:57 CEST 2009

David,

Using only logic ics you are just about reduced to Boolean mathematics to
wire the thing up. It is going to have to deal with a lot of conditional
combinations.

That being said the only chance you have of implementing something this
complicated in a small number of chips without a processors is a very old
school trick, an EPROM that takes all the keys as on or off (1 or 0) as the
address and at that memory location has the proper binary settings for the
rest of the system, you may also need to have the previous state included as
part of the address scheme. This is very old very low tech but extremely
complicated to get right and basically a lot art, it has to cover every
possible combination of events with a pre-calculated result.

In other words, maybe it is time to get a PICkit 2 programmer and some
Microchip micro controllers.

- Jerry