[sdiy] Six/6 voice synths

thx1138 thx1138 at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 30 19:03:49 CEST 2009

On 7/30/09 8:09 AM, "Graham Atkins" <gatkins at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Tom, Colin,
>
> Yes and timewise JP4 was 1st, then JP8 was released and JP6 was
> the most recent. Why did Oberheim make a 2-Voice, 4-Voice and
> 8-Voice but not a 6-Voice.....But then later, was it the OBx that you
> could buy with so many voices, but add more to a total of 8 ?. Would
> they have saved much by leaving out a couple of voices ?.
>
> I think only the "marketing types" could answer that one.
>
> Graham
>
> On 30 Jul 2009, at 15:44, Colin f wrote:
>

>>> Just a quick question; Is there any technical reason why so many
>>> polyphonic synths have six voices?
>>
>> I think it's purely economics.
>> Look inside a Jupiter 6. There are one full, and one half-empty 4
>> voice
>> card. It could easily have been a Jupiter 8 MkII (in name), but the
>> extra
>> bits must have pushed the purchase price too high for the marketing
>> types.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Colin f

Hi Graham,

When I worked at Oberheim, we configured the 4voice and 4voice with
programmer extensible to be a 6voice or 8 voice. Most people did not like
having 2 empty spots on the 2nd cabinet so they would upgrade in most cases.

The OB-x was also configurable but most orders were for 8-voice.

Regards,

Terry