[sdiy] SSM2164 panning curve

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Thu Jul 23 20:33:39 CEST 2009

Derek,

Ok, cool. Now I'm with you. I think. Famous last words.

Basically you want the sum of the outputs to remain constant. I'm not
bang up to date on the latest in the panning law debates, but I
understand that some people prefer the "equal power" version whilst
other people go for "equal level" or some such distinction.

Let me just think this through aloud...
Presumably the X-axis and the Y-axis are identical? So we can look at
one of them independently of the other. So if you solve the problem
for one direction, you just repeat it for the other.

On that basis, let's have a look at the Left/Right axis. On the hard
left side, you'd want only LHS signal, at unity gain. On the hard
right, you'd want all RHS signal, again at unity. As you move away
from these positions, the volume of that channel decreases whilst the
other increases, following the log response curve of the VCA. In the
dead centre, both channels will be mixed equally at some level less
than unity, but which when added gives the same loudness as a single
signal at unity. Am I still on the right lines?

Given that the SSM2164 does the complicated linear CV to logarithmic
response part for you, I'd have thought you just want a circuit that
gives you a linear voltage for the CV, say 0V (unity) to +4V (>120dB
attentuation). This needs to be inverted and offset for the opposite
VCA, to give 4V to 0V instead. This isn't difficult (a lot simpler
than that electromusic schematic). The joystick pot can provide one
CV directly (with a bit of tweaking) and then the opposite one needs
an inverting op-amp mixer, fed with the CV and an offset voltage of
-4V. And then same again for the other channel.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Tom