[sdiy] More about IC design

Florian Teply usenet at teply.info
Sun Jul 12 10:50:58 CEST 2009

Am Sunday 12 July 2009 04:53:26 schrieb Paul Schreiber:
[snip]
> that is scanning the die for electromagnetic "patterns" and comparing them
> to KGD (Known Good Die) patterns. I have heard stories that people used to
> pour LCD fluid on analog die to look for "hot spots".

That's not only a nice story but also a true one. I've seen this at my former
employer myself. We did our own GaAs microwave ICs, ya know, all kinds of
analog stuff for digital purposes. And LCD makes for a very nice temp sense.
It does not go black-white but in nearly all shades of colours depending on
temperature, so you can tell differences in temperature of 10°C or even less.
Hot spots do stand out quite nicely then.

Just my 2 Cents,
Florian