[sdiy] LM741 substitute

David G. Dixon dixon at interchange.ubc.ca
Fri Jul 10 20:05:38 CEST 2009

> would i be doing something horrible in replacing a LM741 with a
> U741CN or a TL072CN?
>
> I've checked the datasheet and it would appear to be ok... then again
> what do i know :)

Well, you know enough to check the datasheet, so I'd say you know a lot!

I can't see any problem with a swap.  The single opamp TL071 is a
pin-for-pin drop-in replacement for LM741, and has the same offset null
connections, if needed.  Just make sure you won't be exceeding the current
sourcing / sinking capabilities of the replacement opamp.  The TL07x series
comes in three flavours with respect to current: 3, 6, or 10 mA.  The "BCN"
is the heftiest one, I believe, and usually the one which is to be found in
most parts shops and online distributors.