[sdiy] (slightly OT?) Analog vs. Analogue - opinions needed

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Jul 4 23:44:56 CEST 2009

Bob Devries wrote:
>>> British English and American English.
>>>
>>> Europe: British English.
>>> US: American English.
>>> Rest of world: You're on yer own!
>>>
>>> - that's what I was taught in school, and I'm sticking to that story
>>> until I hear something more plausible.
>>> -
>>> Andreas.
>>>

>> Andreas, you forgot Canadian English, which is just different enough from
>> American English to appease the significant anti-American contingent
>> here.
>
> Don't forget the various versions of Aussie English..... and then there's
> the language that Kiwi's claim is English too.
>
> I had the priveledge of going to the Philippines last year, and there they
> speak yet another version of English, loosely based on US English. Sheesh.

English is strong in all former colonies. Many of them is known as their
own countries these days. You might have heard about them by now. The
same goes for Spanish, Portugese and French. It is natural that
languages deviates from the motherland, and the later liberation require
them to show thier own uniqueness, and that comes out in the language as
well as many other things. So I think we have to rely on the fish and
chips folks for the ups and downs in english... :)

Cheers,
Magnus