[sdiy] (slightly OT?) Analog vs. Analogue - opinions needed

thx1138 thx1138 at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 4 20:01:10 CEST 2009

On 7/3/09 5:11 PM, "Andreas Wetterberg" <andreas at wetterberg.dk> wrote:

> British English and American English.
>
> Europe: British English.
> US: American English.
> Rest of world: You're on yer own!
>
> - that's what I was taught in school, and I'm sticking to that story
> until I hear something more plausible.
> -
> Andreas.
>

> Graham Atkins skrev:
>> English language should be...well....English !
>>
>> That means ANALOGUE
>>
>> and SYNTHESISER.......with an ESS, not a ZEE (Zed, sorry)
>>
>> D'oh
>>
>> Graham
>>
>> On 3 Jul 2009, at 22:05, Tim Parkhurst wrote:

>>> As a "US American," I think it should be determined by size. After
>>> all, who's is bigger?
>>>
>>> I'm referring of course to the US based company, Analog Devices. If
>>> there's a larger company out there that uses "Analogue" in their name,
>>> I'll acquiesce and give the Brits the win.
>>>
>>> ;-)
>>>
>>> Of course, in the end I think you should spell it however you damn
>>> well please, as both spellings are accepted as correct.
>>>

>>> Tim (gets extra points for using "acquiesce" in a sentence) Servo
>>> --
>>> "Sire, the church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers."
>>> - H.L. Hastings

Interesting thing about British vs US and Metric.

Having been a mechanic whilst in college, I worked on British cars
occasionally.

1/2 inch British Standard, vs British Whitworth vs 1/2 Sears Craftsman and
of course 13 MM Metric.

I did not realize how much bother this was until I worked on a Rolls Royce
engine.

I prefer metric over all and afterwards refused customers with
British/American cars. Tools were too expensive to support a dual standard.

Just a bit of nothing.

Regards,

Terry