[sdiy] Synth DIY UK 2009 last room call

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Jul 2 12:50:27 CEST 2009

Jason Tribbeck wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> This is the last room call for this year's Synth DIY UK event here in
>>> Cambridge.  The books close tomorrow afternoon (16:00 GMT).
>> The nitpick in me wonders what time that would be, 16:00 UTC, 16:00 GMT
>> or 16:00 BST.
>
> Umm - it says GMT; UTC and GMT are pretty much the same (I doubt anyone in this scenario would be relying on the differences :) ).

I see what it says, but I always wonder if that is what was meant.

> For the benefit of those who don't know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time

To confuse things, GMT is still being interprented as UT1, which is not
the same as UTC. I get monthly reports on the UT1-UTC differences, as
they are astronomical observations done using a number of different methods.

Many refer to UTC by saying GMT, which is an unfortunate thing as they
really isn't the same. The BBC GMT transmissions is really UTC based.

Yeat again, if he meant 16:00 british time (which is quite reasnoble
considering that it's a UK event and mainly addresses people in UK),
then GMT isn't applicable but DST is, as it is summer-time.

Short-story:
GMT != UTC
GMT != time in UK during summer

Cheers,