[sdiy] Speaking of the Elektor Vocoder (and the Korg Vocoder)

Ben Lincoln blincoln at eventualdecline.com
Wed Feb 20 19:49:29 CET 2008

On Wed, February 20, 2008 9:44 am, Eric Brombaugh said:

> As an aside, I'm interested that analog processing is 'sort of
> instantaneous', while digital processing is apparently not. Where does
> this belief come from?

It's a fairly common statement (I remember it being in the study guide for
the Computers merit badge when I was briefly a Boy Scout about 15-20 years
ago). I imagine that a completely parallel clockless digital system would
behave more or less the same as an analogue system in that respect, but in
anything with an architecture based on CPUs and registers (or more
generally, serial data of any kind) there will necessarily be latency
because the work is being performed as a series of discrete steps.