[sdiy] Alltime best ring modulator circuit... ever?

Tom Arnold xyzzy at sysabend.org
Mon Feb 18 19:52:39 CET 2008

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 11:58:35AM -0500, anthony wrote:
> I was wondering what people think is the best ring modulator circuit, both
> for use in a modular synth and maybe as an effect for other instruments
> like guitar.

My personal favorite is the plain-ol passive ring modulator.

Easy to build on perfboard.  You can buy suitable transformers from Mouser
p/n 42TM018 still only $2ea or so and tolerable germanium diodes can be
sourced also p/n 526-1N34A.  You will need some signal amp after the ring
modulator as its passive and output is low.

I havent built a 633 based one yet, but I have a couple (EFM) 1495 based
ones that I'm not impressed by.  Could be the actual circuit, but once I
build a bunch of passives I've never looked back.

 - Tom Arnold       -  Free Synth DIY webspace http://www.sdiy.org
 - SynthGeek        -
 - BBD Fanatic      -  "...is it a virus, a drug, or a religion?"
 - echo evho wjxo   -    Juanita Shrugs. "What's the difference?"