[sdiy] Laser pointers and/or modules

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Wed Aug 20 21:29:12 CEST 2008

On 20 Aug 2008, at 20:09, Richard Wentk wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions for where to buy some >5mW laser
> diodes with collimating lenses for sensible money?
>
> Farnell and Digikey are charging *silly* prices. And while it's
> easy to buy ready made pointers on eBay, but I'm wondering if
> there's a professional source of the diode components I could buy
> from without having to pull apart someone else's product.

Probably there is, but I doubt it'd be cheaper than pulling a ready-
made product apart.

I was looking at the prices of 4x6" colour LCD panels (dreaming of
interesting display projects) but I couldn't find any that were even
close to the price of a "digital photo frame" from any high street
retailer. I suppose they buy 10,000 and get discounts accordingly.

T.