[sdiy] Quietest 60mm fan?

Julian julian at 22host24.com
Tue Sep 18 11:06:12 CEST 2007

Eventually ive got around to opening up my Akai S6000 to find the source of
the racket inside...

The culprit is a matsushita 12v dc SF60 fan...

Im looking at various replacement fans, using the old favourite, ebay, and
comparing noise and airflow data, and wondering -

Generally, if something has, to use easy figures, 50CFM airflow at 50DBA, if
i lower the fan voltage to, say, 10v, am i likely to see a linear
relationship between noise and airflow, or can i expect optimums?

In this example, the s6k is, i believe, little more than a custom board with
an intel 386 dumped on it.  This machine has no internal hard disk either,
so im wondering how much cooling i really need anyway.

Julian

It has removed 13701 spam emails to date.