[sdiy] - Service Manual Project -

Andre Majorel aym-htnys at teaser.fr
Tue May 22 10:04:19 CEST 2007

On 2007-05-21 22:46 -0700, Donald Tillman wrote:
>    > Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 22:16:23 -0400
>    > From: "Mo Rosati" <mo at laurelsteel.com>
>    >
>    > Your right, the biggest concern is BANDWIDTH ( specifically the
>    > cost of bandwidth ).
>
> Huh?  The bandwidth is tiny.  Given that people are posting video
> clips all over the place, the bandwidth requirement of a collection of
> rarely accessed manuals for obscure equipment is truly negligible.

Hosting that is cheap enough for individuals to afford tends to
have monthly bandwidth limits on the same order.

Bittorrent proposition seconded. It's a win-win if the content
is available as both FTP and Bittorrent. The question is how to
split the site in torrents ? One torrent per file will lead to a
LOT of torrents. One per manufacturer will rot as soon as a file
is added or updated. One per day is too many torrents, one per
month has a lot of latency.

> The big concern is the longevity of the site.  We've all seen too many
> cases of web sites that try to be reference resources, but they
> disappear when somebody's freebie account expires.

Or when he changes jobs. You need mirrors and, if possible, a
backup admin.

--
André Majorel <URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/>
Do not use this account for regular correspondence.