[sdiy] How to find a short-circuit? (Vox organ problem)

Antti Pitkämäki anpitkam at hotmail.com
Thu May 17 19:59:55 CEST 2007

Hi again,

Thanks Jean-Pierre for the tip. Update: My friend removed most of the
boards, including all the oscillator cards, but the power supply output
voltage still drops. There are still some cards where the problem might be,
and trying the removal of these will be done tomorrow. My friend already
replaced the power supply caps. He will also try to disconnect the power
supply and load it "artificially", to really see if the power supply is
working - who knows, maybe there's something else wrong than the caps. I
hope the problem will be found soon!

BTW, in the power supply, there's a big transistor, which is most likely
OC35, or possibly OC36 (messy schemas). My friend wondered what is its
purpose. He suggested, that it it has something to do with the fact that
when the supply is turned on, the positive voltage rises slowly to the
correct voltage (when disconnected from organ, I assume), it takes like 15
seconds. He suggested that this removes any possible "pops"-sounds to be
heard from an external amp when the organ is turned on or off or something
like that. What do you gurus think? Here's a link to Connie 2 schemas if
anybody wants to check it out:

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/downloads/circuits/continl2.jpg

Antti