[sdiy] Possible Ribbon Controller Material?

Scott Gravenhorst music.maker at gte.net
Sat May 5 20:34:06 CEST 2007

<scottnoanh at peoplepc.com> wrote:
>Hi list,
>
>Out of nowhere, I received this circular from a company called
>'cyberguys.com'.  It's mostly just computer stuff, but one thing caught my
>eye:
>
>They have, on sale for $1.49 each, a disposable cloth wrist strap.  It's
>four feet long, made of cloth, and one end has a copper strip with adhesive,
>which would be used for sticking to the chassis of whatever one is working
>on.  The other end is just wrapped around the wrist.  It looks like a cloth
>strip with some black conductive material running down the center of it.
>I've never seen this before - has anyone tried it out to see if it has the
>right properties for a ribbon controller?
>
>Found the item on the web here:
>
>http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?productID=14730
>
>Cheers,
>Scott

Those are indeed disposable wrist straps to protect against static electricity damage
while installing electronic parts.  I used to work for a company where I received server
equipment from Sun Microsystems.  They came mostly assembled except for expansion RAM,
DVD drive, extra disk drives, PCI cards etc.  Each addon option was shipped with one of
these.  I used to build up the systems using just one of these for the whole lot.  Since
I no longer work there, I don't have access to these and I never brought any home.  In
fact, my ex-boss pitched the remainder of the unused ones...  One end, for many inches,
has a light adhesive.  That end was for wrapping around the wrist.  You would probably
want to not use that piece.  They are about 3 or 4 feet long.  The fabric material is a
light gauze and is very flexible.  I can't say how durable the black material is, it's
very thin.  I'm pretty sure the black material is some kind of conductive plastic.
Unfortunately, this is about a week late, I left the company last Monday...

-- ScottG

-- Scott Gravenhorst
-- GateMan I - Xilinx Spartan-3E Based MIDI Synthesizer
-- FatMan: home1.gte.net/res0658s/fatman/
-- NonFatMan: home1.gte.net/res0658s/electronics/