[sdiy] various scales for a Midi-to-CV ??

harrybissell at copper.net harrybissell at copper.net
Thu May 3 18:26:31 CEST 2007

Are you talking about "tunings / temperment" or "scales"

Temperment is the actual frquencies used...

"Pythagorean tuning" uses whole number ratios related to the
harmonic series i.e. a fifth is a 3/2 frequency ratio

"Equal Temperment" has modified the frequency of the fifth (etc)
to permit playing in ~any~ key

Some of the Arabic tunings you mentioned have non-western intervals...

Scales, on the other hand... are selections from the available
pitches. Things like "major", "minor" etc have different half /
whole steps.

Assuming you want 'temperment' you could make up an offset table. Rev
3.2
Prophet V allowed you to use the twelve knobs in the center of the
unit
to tweak the twelve notes +/- a small amount (one half strp iirc).

If you want to make 'scales' I'd use a MIDI-CV converter driving a
programmable A/D - D/A such as the Wiard-Blacet MiniWave.

I've done #2, I like it a lot

H^) harry