[sdiy] NE566 vs. LM566 (and the 555/556 too)

Tim Parkhurst tim.parkhurst at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 22:25:12 CEST 2007

On 8/19/07, Greg James <gjames at kddlab.com> wrote:
> I have been starting to source parts for some Thomas Henry circuits in
> "Making Music with the 566". As you know, the NE566 is really hard to find.
> There's a chap on eBay selling them for $6-$7 apiece. He claims there's a
> big difference between the NEs and the LMs (which can be got for ~$2).
>
> My question: Is the difference in audio properties a real issue? Or is this
> just a "vintage-snob" thing? If so, is there any source for these other than
> this guy?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

Hey Greg,

Looking at the data sheets, I don't see any difference. They both have
the same temp range, stability and voltage ratings. Just looks like
the LM is from National Semiconductor and the NE is from Philips.
There is an SE566 which has an inductrial temp range, but that's a
very rare bird (and not necessary unless you're planning on sending a
synth up on the Space Shuttle). I'd be interested to hear if anybody
has other info. I'd also say if I could find LM566 chips for $2 each,
I'd snap them up in a second!

<shameless self promotion)
Slightly OT, Magic Smoke will have a PCB available for the Thomas
Henry 566 VCO with all the waveshapers shown in the book, and a little
extra. It'll be available next month (I hope to have one at the AH
Cali show, but don't know if I"ll make that deadline), and should go
for about $16.
</shameless self promotion>

Tim (soldering away in preparation for AH Cali) Servo
--
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein