[sdiy] Topic cem3396

Tim Parkhurst tparkhurst at siliconbandwidth.com
Mon Apr 19 20:29:08 CEST 2004

Hi pHobax,

The CEM3396 needs a compensation CV at pin 2 (for oscillator 1) and pin 10
(oscillator 2) to keep the amplitude of the saw/triangle waves constant.
Also, since the variable pulse width wave is derived from the saw, the saw
level dropping will affect the pulse wave too. If the amplitude of the waves
is dropping off, I'd check whatever is feeding pins 2 and 10 of the 3396s.
It could very well be one of the 4051s (an 1 to 8 analog
switch/multiplexer). This sort of problem would not be caused by a bug in
the dividers or the high frequency oscillator. It also doesn't sound like
the 3396s are bad (I doubt that all six of them would have the same
failure), but if you do need to replace one, they can still be found at
Synthtech. Hopefully, you won't need to replace any of those, but if you do,
check whether you have the wide body (about 1" wide) or narrow body (about
1/2" wide) 3396. The wide body versions are $40 each and the narrow ones are
$15 each.

http://www.synthtech.com/cems.html

Tim (owner of many 'extinct' CEM chips) Servo

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

---

This message is confidential.  The information contained in
this e-mail message is intended only for confidential use of the
recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in
error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original
message.