[sdiy] Frequency to MIDI Conversion

sbernardi at attbi.com sbernardi at attbi.com
Tue Feb 18 21:09:27 CET 2003

Happy Harry Bissell is the guy to talk to. He's even got a Pitch to Voltage
converter PCB (the PV-1, based on a Moog design) available from EFM. I bought
one darn near a year ago and haven't gotten around to building it yet (I will
someday, Harry). If you can drive it from a pure waveform that only crosses
zero twice per cycle (like a standard saw, tri, square or sine), it should work
fine, although there is a bit of lag on low freq since it takes two cycles to
convert the pitch. If you have a synth driving it though, you can set it to
higher notes and just use the inital frequency settings on your analog synth to
bring the frequency back down.
Remember we're talking monophonic one-note-at-a-time here.