[sdiy] psychedelic bananas update

Rude 66 r.lekx at chello.nl
Tue Feb 4 00:42:39 CET 2003

ok, here's an update of 'endurance testing' the coloured bananas.
ovewr the weekend i've been plugging away so to speak. on most, the 'sliding
action' is as smooth as it would be normally. on some, the paint is a little
too thick where it dripped inwards a little. that should be easy to correct.
one thing i didn't realize is that the banana jack actually doesn't
physically touch the painted part apart from the very inside. it stops
before being fully inserted, unlike a jack plug. this greatly reduces the
chance of wear on the paint.
with normal use, they don't chip. we must have tried several hundred times,
and nothing happened. as said, with normal use there's very little ocntact
between plastic front and jack plug. if you turn and twist the plug a lot,
there will be a small wear-line just on the inside.
if you really assault the input in a drunken, drug induced or very inspired
state of mind, they will chip. not badly, but if you really hammer at the
plastic, eventually small bits will come off. but so will paint and writing
on synth front panels and on cars..

anyway, i figured they're good enough for my box i'm building. i'll probably
have a bunch of extras i could sell though.. let me know if anyone's
interested...

ruud

ps if you have no idea what i'm talking about:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rude66/web/index.htm