[sdiy] RE: General Mic supply question

Czech Martin Martin.Czech at micronas.com
Fri Aug 29 19:26:08 CEST 2003

No, I do not think so.
It is only needed for capsule bias (condenser).
If you have an electret (sp?) capsule with built in E-Field
you would only need some voltage for the built in preamp.
15V is enough for a JFET, even 5V might be usable.
This is also what most battery stuff does.

But if you want a good capsule with log life time
and strong output, I guess you will need the 48V
for polarisation. The capsule itself is connected
via very high Ohms to that (to avoid nonlinearity).
It realy needs no current other then leakage.
The preamp then has to live with the 48V, which
has also positive effects.

m.c.