[sdiy] panel design software? (repost)

René Schmitz uzs159 at uni-bonn.de
Thu Aug 21 19:50:33 CEST 2003

Hi Paul et al,

Paul Higgins wrote:

> I was just wondering what types of software (if any) DIYers use to
> create panel designs.  I have used a few different things, the Corel
> Draw graphics suite in particular, but I can't figure out a very elegant
> way to make dial graduations (e.g. subdivide the 270 degree rotation of
> a pot into a 0-10 scale).  Has anyone figured out how to do this in a
> way that is repeatable and quick without having to set up the pattern
> manually (very time-consuming) and then cut-and-paste it for all the pots?

In Corel it is very easy to do that. Create a piece of line, as long as
your graduation shall be. A line has a rotation center, modify that so
that it sits in the middle of your hole.  (I.e. the center is now away
from the line, and we can rotate that piece arround that point.
But don't rotate using the mouse, rather using the rotation scaling
dialog instead. (Alt F8) Now enter the wanted angle (i.e. 270 divided by
how many graduations-1), click apply to duplicate until the 270 degrees
are full. Then group that object, and cut and paste happily ever after.
The end.

Cheers,
  René

uzs159 at uni-bonn.de