thanx: RE: [sdiy] ot: please recommend a low power pentode power amp circuit

john mahoney jmahoney at gate.net
Fri Aug 15 15:34:52 CEST 2003

I read that a 50W tube amp is louder than a 50W solid state amp. It must be
true, because it was in writing and they had charts to prove it! ;-) But,
seriously, they did. As I recall, this is not just a psychoacoustic effect.
A tube amp does not merely *seem* to sound louder, but it actually is
louder. Unfortunately, I forget the source of this article.

I have also read the exact opposite of what I just wrote: Tube amps merely
sound louder but they are not. But, I am sticking to my "tube amps really
are louder" story. Maybe Uncle Eric or a PhD on the list can shed light on
this.
--
john