Voltage Controlled Waveshape (was animation (was Re: [sdiy]Imperfect VCO)

John Loffink jloffink at austin.rr.com
Sun Aug 3 05:35:24 CEST 2003

> right, but Don's are simple crossfades between 2 things, or on the 259
> there are several CV ins to control several parameters, HOWEVER, what
> am refering to is sweeping accross several more or less unrelated
things
> with one voltage. That can be done with the interpolating scanner, by
> putting whatever signals into the inputs.... however in this case it
is
> all waves from the same VCO that it's hardwired to.

I believe Wavemakers was the first to interpolate between VCO waveforms,
in the 652 Dual Voice Subsystem:
http://www.wavemakers-synth.com/652pg1.html, in 1980. In Wavemakers
parlance this was a "lap circuit," short for overlap, much like the J.
Haible scanner circuit.  This was used earlier in the Wavemakers Triple
Bandpass Filter: http://www.wavemakers-synth.com/308pg1.html, mid 1970s
time period.

> My guess, and it is only a guess, is that the Serge NTO was an attempt
> to have the possibilties of the Buchla 258 plus something more in it's
> waveshaper. That's why they have the sine between the saw and square.
> Then you can set it up to sweep from sine to either, so it can be set
up
> as either of the 2 oscillators in a Buchla 258. Which had already
proven
> to be a valuable resource. You'd have to be really careful with the
> voltage so you don't "oversweep " though.

Just to be clear, the Serge NTO does not use a scanner type circuit,
rather the waveform is morphed through waveshaping to approximate the
sine, square, saw and pulse waves.

John Loffink
jloffink at austin.rr.com

The Microtonal Synthesis Web Site
http://www.microtonal-synthesis.com/

The Wavemakers Modular and Integrated Synthesizer Web Site
http://www.wavemakers-synth.com/