[sdiy] smoothing the AC ripple out of a rectified DC power source

Jon Darby jdarby at lplizard.com
Thu Jun 27 21:09:09 CEST 2002

OK, all you pros can feel free to ignore a juvenile electronics question,
but if you haven't done your good deed for the day now's your chance.  I
need help figuring out AC-to-DC rectification with a full-wave bridge
rectifier. My electronics books show it's easy to get +12v DC and -12vDC
from a 12v AC transformer through the rectifier with the center-tap of the
secondary winding connected to ground, but what do I do when I do not have a
center-tap on the transformer? is it as easy as connecting the negative side
of the rectifier to ground? And also, the book mentions the value of the
smoothing capacitor(s) and resistor depend on the impedence of the circuit.
I have completely replaced the old amplifier circuit with an LM386 and have
no idea how to calculate this impedence or current needs, can someone point
me in the right direction to determining the values required? Thank you
kindly!

Your pal,
Jon Darby
Senior Game Developer