[sdiy] ROM burners (plus a question for folks)

Machinerygod machinerygod at prism.net
Wed Jun 26 21:21:07 CEST 2002

gm> Someone on posted a note regarding ROM images for one of the intermediate
gm> Prophet 5s.  I've been considering getting a burner to back up the EPROMs
gm> on my old synths;  also been thinking about building an archive of ROM
gm> images from as many old units as I can (these things will only keep
gm> disappearing as time goes on).
gm> Towards this end, I would like to solicit suggestions as to appropriate
gm> burners that are currently available, from people who are familiar with
gm> them, keeping in mind
gm> 1) I've never used one of these before
gm> 2) I can't see spending $500 -1000 for one.
You don't need to spend that kind of money if you're just trying to
dump ROM's. One word: Needhams.

I have one of these sitting in front of me right now that I'm
borrowing from a friend to work with some ROMs:

http://www.needhams.com/e10.html

I highly recommend the EMP-10. It comes with software as well.

Now, my own programmer question: I have a Needhams PB-10 ISA card
based programmer. I don't suppose anybody around here would know the
pinout for it? (seeing as when you find things in a dumpster they don't
tend to come with a cable) I can wire my own ZIF adapters for various
devices based on datasheets, if only I could find the pinout for the
connector on the programmer card. Searching the net has yielded
nothing so far and needhams doesn't support it on their website anymore.

1010011010==_MACHINERYGOD_!=111101001101001
"He who wonders discovers that this in itself is a wonder."  -M. C. Escher
"Dave, put down those windows disks, Dave, Dave ...." - HAL

"We're the only church that admits we're in it for the hate -- pure hate,"
"What will be coming out of my mouth will be wild and crazy enough,"
-Rev. Ivan Stang, Church of the Subgenius

"My brand of Satanism is the ultimate conscious alternative to herd
mentality and institutionalized thought. It is a studied, contrived
set of principles and exercises designed to prevent and liberate from
the contagion of mindlessness which destroys innovation."
-Anton LaVey