[sdiy] ROM burners

Tom Arnold xyzzy at sysabend.org
Wed Jun 26 20:21:05 CEST 2002

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 10:04:46AM -0700, greg montalbano wrote:
> Someone on posted a note regarding ROM images for one of the intermediate
> Prophet 5s.  I've been considering getting a burner to back up the EPROMs
> on my old synths;  also been thinking about building an archive of ROM
> images from as many old units as I can (these things will only keep
> disappearing as time goes on).
> Towards this end, I would like to solicit suggestions as to appropriate
> burners that are currently available, from people who are familiar with
> them, keeping in mind
> 1) I've never used one of these before
> 2) I can't see spending $500 -1000 for one.

The Data I/O 29A is an ancient but decent EPROM programmer.  It'll
happily do 2708s and other stranger EPROMs ta boot and you can pick
one up for $50 or so.

They are kinda bulky and a little weird to use, but what do you expect for
something made in the early 80s.

I did totally luck out and find one with the manuals which I'd be happy
to copy for the cost of copying ( or less if I can just stuff it
thru the autofeeder ) and you can find the last version of the MSDOS
control software online with a little digging ( Promlink ).

 - Tom Arnold -       When I was small, I was in love,                  -
 - Sysabend   -       In love with everything.                          -
 - CareTaker  -       And now there's only you...                       -
 --------------         -- Thomas Dolby, "Cloudburst At Shingle Street" -