[sdiy] Starting my next major project...

Sowa Roman Roman.Sowa at upc.com.pl
Wed Jun 26 12:19:43 CEST 2002

Hi Jim,
I like your idea very much. I do it similar way - see links
below

I simply don't use PCB for jacks, but there are alternatives.
Use pots with longer shafts, so when PCB is in distance from
panel determined by jacks, they still come out. But then
you don't need high side force on any knob to visibly move
it around as PCB will bend easier (don't know if I make myself
clear). My other idea was to use 2 PCBs. One for pots and
circuitry, second for Jacks and connect the two with ribbon
cable.
Or another idea, the one I use for toggle switches. I mount
them on PCB (and panel, as they are separated only by 0.5mm
insulator) and connect to PCB pads with solid wire. Works
good so far, and can be easily done with jacks also.

But now I want to make it even different, as I just described
in my question about sockets. One board with pots, and
piggy-backed smaller board with circuitry. Why? Because
it's much easier to design PCB when there are no pots
and switches spread all over the board.

and here are some pics of how I make modules:
sequencer almost done:
http://romcio.multimania.com/m_pics/m_sqback.jpg
and in higher resolution
http://romcio.multimania.com/m_pics/m_sqbackbig.jpg