[sdiy] The RIAA Blows.... (fwd)

Theo t.hogers at home.nl
Mon Jun 24 02:25:53 CEST 2002

Legal or illegal? thing is the laws are IMHO a "bit strange" and give life
"parasites" like BUMA, RIAA and the like who have to collect the money
and after deduction of expenses pay some of what is collected to the
artists.
But most importantly of all, make sure there is a constant cash flow to the
major labels.

Exposure is what sells records. Wanabe played on the radio? Ok PAY for it.
No I am not nuts, it is how it works now too.
You need rather large promotion budgets to get airplay on major stations,
not accessible to the small guy.
Remember radio is business, no one cares about the music or its artistic
merit.
RIAA & associated laws are there to make sure it stays business and strictly
business.
What's left for the independent artists are the local stations where the DJ
plays you for a bottle of scotch.

A more transparent pay to get played system would open the marked up for
small independent players, both artists and radio stations.
The only real change is the stations don't have to pay the riaa
(buma/whatever) fees.
Radio stations that target a public that does not want to listen to the
commercial
mainstream all the time will not be strangled by RIAA&friends and be able to
get their place in the market.
Who should pay what for exposure is up to the stations.

To sum it up.
The big labels/commercial artists should PAY for the commercials (err, sorry
music) that are on the air all the time.
Artist can make their share from selling CDs or playing live.
Radio exposure it there to HELP them with selling or getting pp to the
performance.
Stations should set their own fees for airplay, starting at $zero.

Just a thought,
Theo

BTW 1) The major label acts score hits because the general public recognizes
the artistic merits of those productions and demand to hear those
productions on the radio.
BTW 2) Eminem is a perfect example of a underground artist who got
recognized by the general public.
BTW 3) The above are facts because the majors labels say so.
BTW 4) I'll stop ranting now and see my therapist to find what personal
feelings made me to suggest those unfair things.

From: Rude 66 <r.lekx at chello.nl>

> and how exactly are they going to check on all this? even here in our
small
> country of holland it all works for normal radiostations by either
playlists
> from the major stations, or on local level they randomly choose stations
and
> ask their playlists, on which they base the money given to artists.
> there already is tons of music channels out there just broadcasting stuff
> all day and night on the net. unless they employ 100.000 people who sit
down
> with headphones and pen/paper, or make some intelligent software that can
> recognize songs, it sounds to me like one of those laws that is in reality
> impossible to enforce.
> i had my own show for years. local amsterdam radio. i recorded it at home,
> and put the ra-files of the show online.
> otherwise just beat them at their own game.. if all indies join the riaa,
> they also can influence the way it's run. most of 'my' labels used to be
> 'illegal' in the way all the records were pressed in eastern europe and
> distributed directly..but now it's all legal, and i do get money from
tracks
> played abroad, etc.
>
> r./

So