[sdiy] The RIAA Blows.... (fwd)

Rude 66 r.lekx at chello.nl
Sun Jun 23 23:42:47 CEST 2002

and how exactly are they going to check on all this? even here in our small
country of holland it all works for normal radiostations by either playlists
from the major stations, or on local level they randomly choose stations and
ask their playlists, on which they base the money given to artists.
there already is tons of music channels out there just broadcasting stuff
all day and night on the net. unless they employ 100.000 people who sit down
with headphones and pen/paper, or make some intelligent software that can
recognize songs, it sounds to me like one of those laws that is in reality
impossible to enforce.
i had my own show for years. local amsterdam radio. i recorded it at home,
and put the ra-files of the show online.
otherwise just beat them at their own game.. if all indies join the riaa,
they also can influence the way it's run. most of 'my' labels used to be
'illegal' in the way all the records were pressed in eastern europe and
distributed directly..but now it's all legal, and i do get money from tracks
played abroad, etc.

r./