[sdiy] The RIAA Blows.... (fwd)

Batz Goodfortune batzman at all-electric.com
Sun Jun 23 22:22:50 CEST 2002

Y-ellow Lava 'n' crew.

At 11:39 AM 6/23/02 -0700, Moho Disco wrote:

>I got the impression that if you are an internet radio station at all, and
>unless you have specific written permission from the artists you use, you
>must pay royalties to the RIAA no matter whether you play big label/RIAA
>affiliates or not.  Essentially, paying the RIAA for playing independents
>who will not receive a dime of it.  Somebody please tell me I misunderstood
>that part.  I was hoping to submit some music to SomaFM and get it played
>on there, and now that won't happen.  That's another way it has affected at
>least one independent.

This is exactly right. Spot on the money. Summed up exactly. But dare I say
it, you're still thinking in the same mode as every clutz trying to make it
big in the music industry. The same old tired model that says I wanna do
just like the big acts do. I don't wanna insult another indy but snap out
of it man. Do I really need to spell it out for you?

Print yourself up a little contract and glue it to the CD. Hell, make it
part of your cover art if you like. Make the contract say basically. I give
this radio station permission to play my music and wipe their ass with it
if they so desire. Etc etc.

Why?

Because if the fit hits the shan big time and no-one can play anything,
they'll still be able to play yours! Yeah! If the broadcaster has an
inventory of 25,000 CDs but only 1000 of those have permission to play
built in, who's CDs do you think they're going to play?

Now Imagine right, that every true indy did that. The bill get's passed
into law. No-one can play this major crap without having to fork over wads
of cash. Who gives a shit? The only CDs being broadcast are going to be the
indies. You reckon that might hurt the RIAA or what? Everyone send the
bastards a box of razor blades with a note saying. "When ever your ready
guys. Just across the jugular and try not to bleed on the carpet OK."

I saw this happen here in the late 60s. The record companies got together
and tried to extort royalties from the radio stations. So the radio
stations put pink tape or paper on all the records they couldn't play. So
only the "Other stuff" got to air. Took about, oooo Maybe a month before
the record companies caved in. And the irony was that bands like the
Mixtures, who you wouldn't probably have ever noticed, were suddenly big
news. Now imagine what would happen if the RIAA put this shit in law and
couldn't back out of it even if they wanted to. Man! A truck load a valium
wouldn't be able to stop me laughing.

But of course I don't expect any of this to actually happen. The Indies
won't wake up and the US courts will throw it out anyway. But you can
always be a good boy scout and be prepared. :)

Be absolutely Icebox.

|_,__/ \__,_|\__|/ /    Bullshit --> http://all-electric.com
Goodfortune    |_____|