[sdiy] Mouldy Meter.

Ben bud_fts at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jun 23 17:30:13 CEST 2002

On the subject of shitty amplifiers that weigh bugger all, one thing I'm
really pissed off about is the sheer number of all in one "Receiver Units".
That is, those audio visual surround sound decoder/amplifiers. There are
hundreds of them. And they all claim to push out 100watts/rms on all
5 (or in some cases 6, the sub woofer out as well) channels, yet they
barely weigh 8kg. And if they do weigh excess of 20kg, who the hell
wants to buy an $8000(aus) box that gets as hot as a toaster with so much
delicate DSP technology inside it? (Onkyo, Denon, Marantz are all guilty
I'm afraid).

And yet as soon as you look at buying a dedicated decoder and using
seperate amps, your in the niche market, and unless you want to spend
$3000+, your left on your own. Theres zip to choose from.

Ok, this aint synth-diy, so im off the soap box now :)

thanks for bandwidth :P

~ben (aka Bud, Adelaide like Batz)