[sdiy] The RIAA Blows.... (fwd)

Batz Goodfortune batzman at all-electric.com
Sun Jun 23 13:55:58 CEST 2002

Y-ellow All.
         Certainly I have no love of the RIAA or any of the other REAL
thieves of the music industry but I'm wondering how 'n' hell this relates
to independents? Sure the bill as it stands is retroactive and could cause
problems for any Internet broadcaster who has previously been so short
sighted as to have been playing major record label noise in the past but
the RIAA can't touch anyone who hasn't been sucking it's teet.

I don't care if some broadcaster or the public feel that they need to
play/listen to some commercial music pap. If that's what they want to do
then go right ahead. But by the same token, don't come running to me when
the hydra that is the RIAA sends it's shit-demons in to kick yo' ass.

But I'm not saying the indies are any better really. Most of them seem to
be still major label wannabes and if that's the kind of model they're
pursuing then they do so at their own risk.

Going back a number of years, some of you may recall that I tried to start
an organization called "Independence". The idea was to bring together as
many of the true independent artists and labels to form a cohesive body to
resist exactly these kinds of ploys. Not just the RIAA but ARIA and any
other toadying mouth piece of the major record companies. Many came on
board but even then quite a few missed the point. It would seem that many
independents are still confused about the whole idea of being independent.
Still I couldn't drag together a critical mass because most indies are too
wrapped up in their own self-importance and the traditional music industry
market model to see the big picture.

So now when the indies actually need their own equivalent of the RIAA etc,
to wave the flag and say "Hey, Sony and BMG aren't the only ones in this
game." they start winging about how there's no-one to protect them.

And it's a moot point anyway. If I wanna start an internet broadcaster and
blast out my own music and perhaps that of my record label's, who 'n fuck
is going to stop me? The RIAA? I don't fucking think so. They can kiss my
ass. It's my music. I wrote it. I own it, and I'll jolly well do what I
like with it. More to the point. The Recording Industry Ass. of America is
exactly that. They may be a mouth-piece for all the billion dollar record
labels but they can only influence American law. There's a whole world out
there and you're all connected to it. So just get a damn server in Belgium
or somewhere and carry on as if nothing happened. Ironically, My server is
in the States because of some idiot laws in Australia. But the RIAA's new
CRAP law (Sorry CARP law) still doesn't affect me.

Personally I feel the approach should be to just let them do what they want
and subsequently hang themselves in the process. And if the public don't
mind getting their musical drinking water from a stagnant pool, so be it.
But to my reckoning and to many other's as well, it would seem, the Music
industry is in the business of going out of business. We just have to step
out of the way while it's in it's death throws. What the RIAA is trying to
get pushed through congress is a desperate act. By the time it has teeth
the digital landscape will have changed again and it'll be largely useless.

Prior to the I.T. Age, they use to refer to "Loop holes" In the digital age
we call them work-around-solutions. So here's the deal. I'll give your
little internet broadcaster unlimited rights to broadcast my music
providing they buy a CD and give adequate attribution. They can even
download and play the stuff that's out there on the net if they want. And
if some trained monkey from the Recording Industry Ass. of America comes a
knockin' and tries to make you pay up for it, tell 'em to talk to me first.
Sure I'll let 'em slug you with a bill but only if they pay me a lump sum
yearly fee of 10 million dollars up front. (After tax and all other
deductions) And if they're stupid enough to do that then I'm stupid enough
to pay you 500 bux a day to stay on air. Hey. I might even take you to
lunch with some of the change. McDonald's or Burger King. Your choice. Oh
ok then Pizza hut but I'm not going anywhere near KFC Ok. :)

Don't worry about it. If you're truly independent then it's not going to
hurt you one bit.

But having said that, if you ever come across an RIAA member drowning,
throw them a rope. With an anvil attached.

Be absolutely Icebox.

|_,__/ \__,_|\__|/ /    Bullshit --> http://all-electric.com
Goodfortune    |_____|