[sdiy] Mouldy Meter.

John L Marshall john.l.marshall at gte.net
Sat Jun 22 17:55:33 CEST 2002

My old Fluke 8024B is 0.1% of reading. My Radio Shack is 1% of reading. The
meter you are looking as is between a good meter and a bad meter. Since it
is twice as good as the Radio Shack, I would say that it is not half bad.
Note that any meter without published accuracy ratings is probably bad. The
number of display digits is no indicator of basic accuracy. I need to
convert; AUD$42 bux times 0.573699 equals $24.10 SAWBUX. Sounds okay to me.

You started me on a rant. Getting basic specs for electronic equipment is
nearly impossible. For example, Hewlett Packard seldom publishes the dynamic
range of their scanners. Must be pretty bad. I don't care if the scanner has
42 bits. How many of those bits are useful? That is why I own an Epson. Ever
try to find the dynamic range an LCD display?

Audio cards that use 24 bit A/D/A converters. The specs that are published
are more in line with good 18 bit A/D/A converters. Specsmanship =
Bitsmanship. BS.

Take care,
John