[sdiy] multiplier help

Michael Ruberto frankentron at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 22 00:39:05 CEST 2002

>I assume you are feeding this a symmetrical square wave?  This circuit will
>output a *pulse* train at twice the freq of the input square.  However,
>those
>pulses are narrow and won't do the double thing again, except perhaps at a
>certain frequency.  Essentially, this works only with a true square input.

you are correct about the output pulses being very narrow. I finally got the
sim to work in EWB and the O-scope shows this to be the case. however, on
the breadboard, when I adjust the comparator which drives the circuit I can
hear the pulse width changing in the doubler's output. this doesn't happen
in EWB. it's interesting and sounds pretty neat I may just settle for 1
additional octave ;-)

I know from designing power supplies that you get a doubling through the
full wave rectifier. maybe I will investigate this as an approach to getting
extra octaves.

~M