[sdiy] Finding the correct IC...

Neil Johnson nej22 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 19 22:43:55 CEST 2002

> >D is for "Data"
>
> Not according to the logic textbook I have.

I just checked in mine:

Logic Designer's Manual, John D. Lenk, 1977
  "D-type flip-flop ... requires only one data input in addition to the
clock input" ...and the schematic diagram is courtesy of Honeywell.

> That's a type D with SR.  I was referring to a plain SR (made with two
> NOR gates).

Again, from Lenk, if both inputs are set high, both outputs go low.  If
both high levels are then removed from the input simultaneously (which
never happens in practice because this is an analogue world :) the state
of the output cannot be predicted.  Harry's spot on there.

Logic gates...love'em!  My students...hate'em!!

Neil (back from PLDI conference in Berlin...sunny!!)

--
Neil Johnson :: Computer Laboratory :: University of Cambridge ::
http://www.njohnson.co.uk          http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~nej22