[sdiy] Super cheap synthisizers

patchell patchell at silcom.com
Sat Jun 15 16:00:11 CEST 2002

phillip m gallo wrote:

> Understanding that discussion to date qualify as "brain storming, a lot of
> good input has been exchanged.  I just wanted to get a feeling for specific
> issues, not from a product manufacturer stand point (i am not), but that of
> a "constructor" who would (at least theoretically) construct and implement
> such a device.
>
> >(1) Expected cost per channel;
>
> --> Speaking for myself, time is more costly than component costs (within
> reason of course). Anything that implements "quickly" from a construction
> and packaging point of view has a reduced cost of implementation for me.

    Assembly time is definately the biggest problem I have.  I build modulars,
and the amount of time it takes to wire up the panel almost makes that part of
the project a drudge...I just recieved some components yesterday that I am going
to look at to see if I can solve that problem.  The idea, is of course, to have
a PC board that just slides into the holes in the panel with no wires.  It might
cost me a few more dollars for the hardware, but it will be insignificant
compared to the time I have spent wiring.

--
 -Jim
* Visit:http://www.silcom.com/~patchell/