[sdiy] And another amp question

Batz Goodfortune batzman at all-electric.com
Sat Jun 15 09:18:41 CEST 2002

Y-ellow All.
         Please ignore this if it get's up your nose. This is a request for
any information or pointers to information on an Oritron brand 5/6 channel
amp. Model number AI 1110 (Or could be A1 1110 or even Al 1110 I can't tell)

Problem. The amp works fine for what it is but it has this big, huge chunky
motorized volume control. It has a 3.5mm socket on the back labeled remote.
Either side of the knob is, what looks to be, an up down light. What I'm
trying to work out is what kind of hoops I have to jump through to make the
volume control work?

I have no idea what the remote control interface is. At first I thought it
might be something simple like a voltage control or something. But it seems
to drive into a couple of transistors near the socket. Further up on the
board there is a 74HC164 shift register (Serial in parallel out) which
looks like there might be a lot more to this thing. Although the only
control on the entire amp besides the power switch is the volume knob. It
looks like it simply powers the motor in one or the other directions but
then what's the shift register for?

If anyone's got an idea about this I'd be most grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Be absolutely Icebox.

|_,__/ \__,_|\__|/ /    Bullshit --> http://all-electric.com
Goodfortune    |_____|