[sdiy] (OT) boston tea party (was: Manufacturing or "Death of the West: Act 1")

media.nai at rcn.com media.nai at rcn.com
Fri Jun 14 20:21:35 CEST 2002

>I agree with most of this assessment having been laid-off twice in the past
>year. sure enough when things start going south they hire more and more
>overpriced lawyers, management and marketing staff while laying off the
>folks actually doing the work - then they file chapter 11. DOH!
>multiply this by several thousand and you find entire industries drying up
>and blowing away.

This is the trouble with the economy -- there is little real demand for
most of the "work" people do.   Allow me to explain...

Agriculture is the primary economy.  Through out all of history, until very
recently, most humans worked to produce food, which is the most necessary
product.  Everyone has a demand for food.  If you don't eat you die.

Industry (ie. mass manufacturing) is the secondary economy.  Around a
hundred years ago, most humans worked to produce various goods.  While
these goods were not as important as food, they were at least physical
objects with some value.  While people can live without a cars or radios,
these things are that people are at least willing to buy.

We now have a tertiary economy.  Today, most humans work to shuffle
paperwork and computer data.  We are a nation of office workers.  The
trouble is that most of this work produces nothing.  The only reason why
people are only "willing" to buy these things because the government forces
them to pay for them.

Firstly, of the price of any product is mostly taxes.  If I buy a loaf of
bread, hidden in the price is all of the taxes paid by the supermarket, the
truck that delivered the bread, the factory that baked the bread, and the
farm that grew the wheat -- all of their property taxes, corporate taxes,
licenses, permits, excise taxes, the social security and income taxes of
all their employees, and all the taxes hidden in everything had to buy.

Secondly, a corporation is an artificial entity that can only exist within
a system regulated by government -- corporate bureaucracy is merely an
extension of government bureaucracy.  Think of how much paperwork in the
"private sector" is forced to produce solely to satisfy government
regulations.

Essentially, the entire economy is run at gunpoint.  If you refuse to pay
taxes, you go to jail.  If you try to escape from jail, you get shot.

To put it another way, there are too many chiefs and not enough indians :)