Re: [sdiy] Panels and cases

jhaible at debitel.net jhaible at debitel.net
Fri Jun 14 14:17:34 CEST 2002

>I'm still looking for stackable 3.5mm connectors. Do anyone have any
>information on shielded stackable connectors? I have seen some RCA types
>that were stackable, but they seem to be uncommon.

I would be surprised if you found any. Just think of the force the lowest contact must
stand when you push the upper jack in such a jack a little sidewards.
Sometimes I use adapters without cable (you know them, all in one plug, female RCA
input or 3.5mm input, male 1/4" output. I'm always anxious not to apply any sidewards
force to such a stack, even when the "fundament" is a 1/4" connection.
I have even seen it the other way round, female 1/4" input, male 1/8" output.
Dangerous !! This is what a 1/8" stack would look and feel like, too, only that it
would have less diameter than the adapter plug.

And then there are the headphone "combi" jacks of course. 1/8" from HP cable
fits into a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter. But look how they are usually as short as possible
(torque and force ...), and often with a circular flange on the adapter part to keep
the smaller 1/8" jack firmly in place.

JH.