[sdiy] Getting over eBay (rant)

Batz Goodfortune batzman at all-electric.com
Fri Jun 14 07:27:34 CEST 2002

Y-ellow Elmacaco 'n' all.

At 11:34 PM 6/13/02 -0400, ElmacacoX at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 6/13/02 11:49:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>batzman at all-electric.com writes:
>
><< We don't make stone axes any more. The metal
>  ones may not have that earthy quality but they get the job done a hell of a
>  lot more efficiently. >>
>
>not if you have to make it from scratch yourself!

Ah by JHVH-1 you've hit the caveat on the head with a rolling pin there.
This is exactly the point. If you're stuck in the bush with nothing but a
brass razoo to scratch you're starving butt with, you just have to use
whatever's available.

Now I'm not exactly stuck in the bush, and I have a perfectly suitable (And
recycled) pasta spoon to scratch my fat ass with but I can neither afford
nor have access too affordable electronic component outflows that volume
purchase even remotely esoteric devices. So for me, this is exactly the
case. I'll take a damn metal axe where I can find it and the rest has to be
stone tools. It's not efficient but that's how it is. And all the gee-wiz
custom intergrated single monolithic hand held digital butt scratchers in
the world aren't worth a hill of beans if you can't get that special
battery to power 'em.

My plight for a new monitor is exactly this dilemma. I've got a reasonable
TP 15" monitor. Well it's nice when it works but the electros have gone
dry. Can I get high-er voltage caps here? No of course not. Duck Smuth's
catch cry at the moment is. "That's where you go." Yeah. That's where you
go to get a bit disappointed. So it's fencing wire or an entire new monitor
and dump this one in some landfill.

But lets not get me started on Duck Smuth otherwise I'll get all bent out
of shape.

>I remember hearing that one of the things that gave the old wooden
>instruments their excelent tone was that in the old days, and perhaps in some
>cases today, the timber was shipped by river, with the wood soaking sometimes
>for months if not more.
>
>A pawn shop owner I knew who collected guitars once told me that his best
>sounding guitar was one that a guy he knew made  from a big hunk ofwood he
>found in a swampy area in the water.

Yeah. I can understand that. The curing process isn't just a matter of
drying the stuff out. It's drying it out in exactly right way for the right
purpose. And that may include having it water logged to begin with. But as
I say, I'm not up on all this organic technology. But like other organic
things, Wood rots. Especially when it's exposed to air and water. But I
seem to recall something about the timber having to be allowed to do all
the warping and deforming it's ever going to do before you can mill it and
plane it down etc. Or something like that.

Be absolutely icebox.

|_,__/ \__,_|\__|/ /    Bullshit --> http://all-electric.com
Goodfortune    |_____|