[sdiy] Manufacturing or "Death of the West: Act 1"

Michael Ruberto frankentron at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 14 05:59:46 CEST 2002

you got me mad Rob,

I agree with most of this assessment having been laid-off twice in the past
year. sure enough when things start going south they hire more and more
overpriced lawyers, management and marketing staff while laying off the
folks actually doing the work - then they file chapter 11. DOH!
multiply this by several thousand and you find entire industries drying up
and blowing away. I worked in electronics for 7 years as an R&D tech, a
Robotics and Machine Vision Tech, Wire and Die Bonding Tech, Embedded
Systems Tech, Prototyping Tech, QA inspector, and Troubleshooter. when I
realized I will never be able to get a job in electronics again I went to
school and studied computers. it seemed natural since I had to teach myself
to program embedded controllers awhile back. so I worked as a
computer/internet programmer for awhile and now that industry no-longer
exists in the US. my next career move will be OUT of technology altogether.
I'm thinking of Mr. Softy Driver now. Ice cream seems like a fairly stable
industry.

Seriously though, what do I get for the extreme investment I made to
learning all this useless cutting edge stuff? this is what I get: I get
turned down for unemployment benefits extensions, I get turned down for jobs
because I am either A) overqualified, B) under-degreed, C) no experience in
the field, D) not enough work references (DUH the companies don't EXIST
anymore), or E) any combination or all of the above. I get harrassed by debt
collectors and state agencies because I no-longer make the money I used to.
I get to figure out what to do next in order to support the baby on it's
way. if I could remember my high school guidance counselor's name I would
look her up and burn down her house.

yeah, I am having a PUNK ROCK moment. where did I put that Fear CD? oh
that's right someone stole it, well the Sex Pistols will do just fine then.
~M