[sdiy] solder diameter?

Paul Perry pfperry at melbpc.org.au
Fri Jun 14 05:47:45 CEST 2002

At 10:21 PM 13/06/02 -0400, you wrote:
>what gauge wire solder would you guys reccomend for soldering components
onto a pcb?

Curiously enough, it depends on the component.
But, I am personally doing a lot better after switching from .71mm to .56mm for
thru hole 1/4w resistors & similar. Tried .50mm, seems TOO tiny.

Part of the reason that as ones eyesight gets a bit worse & one solders more
by feel,
the less surplus solder to run about the better. Also thinner solder melts
faster
& the flux stays active better it seems.

I keep several diameters present at all times.

BTW I have been replying to off-topic posts on s-diy over at AHOT.
I dont want to encourage off-topicstuff here, some of the most helpful guys
here
are VERY busy & might have to unsbu if too much dross comes down theline to
them at work.

paul perry MelbAust